Register with Social Hiking
- Visit shareyouradventure.com
- Click the 'sign in with Twitter' button (currently a Twitter account is required to register, but is not otherwise a requirement to use the site)
- Authorise Social Hiking to access your Twitter account
- Complete the Social Hiking registration form - only your username (which defaults to your Twitter screen name, your name and your email address are required fields, the rest can be left as the default values although we would recommend you choose to follow SocialHiking on Twitter and sign up to our occasional newsletter)
Before Your Adventure
Before you set off, you need to give Social Hiking details of your trip.
- Login to Social Hiking
- Go to 'Your Maps'
- Click the 'Setup Track' button
- Complete the form
- enter a title for your map
- select the start and finish dates (and times if required)
- ensure the timezone is correct
- change activity is relevant,
- ensure privacy is set to public if you wish the map to be visible by others
- amend other details as required
- click 'Submit'
You now have a map setup for your adventure - any locations you share with Social Hiking between the start and end dates you entered will be automatically added to it.
(If you adventure is part of a larger event that has a group map, for example the TGO Challenge, you can now add your map to that group map. To do this, visit the group map you wish to join, click on the 'maps' tab and click 'add a map')
On Your Adventure
Please note these instructions are primarily for Android devices - unfortunately Social Hiking does not support mobile importing from iOS devices due to platform limitations. There may be some differences depending on your phone and not all Android phones may be supported.
Requirements: You need either an app on your mobile phone that can record GPX tracks (for example ViewRanger, Locus Maps Pro, Alpinerequest) or a GPS device that you can export to your mobile (or tablet). Please note that on Android devices you are also recommended to install the free app: ES File Explorer.
- At the start of each day, open your chosen gpx recording device and start recording a track
- Depending on your device, please be aware that battery usage will be fairly high, so you may wish to consider having spare batteries or a portable charger, and you are recommended to have a backup plan for ensuring you have sufficient phone charge in emergencies
- When you have finished walking, stop the tracking and export the track as a GPX file (if you are using a GPS, export it as a GPX file and transfer it to your phone
- Visit shareyouradventure.com using the browser on your phone and login (by clicking the 'Sign in with Twitter' button)
- Go to 'Your Maps' and click the 'Import GPX' button
- Click the 'Select File' button, and when prompted chose to complete the action using ES File Manager (if you have already set a default app, you may need to clear this default first)
- Using ES File Manager, browse to the GPX file you exported from your app or device and select it (if prompted choose to use the normal Android way)
- Once the GPX file has finished uploading to Social Hiking - click the 'Analyse File' button
- You are recommended to leave 'maximum number of beacons' as 300 for a day walk
- From the second drop down, choose 'import as track (merge with existing data)'
- Click 'Import File'
- Social Hiking will now import the data and update your map with the new data.